The festive season in Nigeria, known as Detty December, is a time of excitement, joy, and celebration. During this period, Nigerians across the country come together to celebrate with friends, family, and loved ones. The streets are filled with music, food, and cultural activities that showcase the beauty and diversity of the Nigerian culture.
From Lagos to Abuja, there are countless events happening during Detty December, and it can be overwhelming trying to decide which ones to attend. The options are endless, from music concerts to cultural festivals, comedy shows to food fairs. It is a time where the entertainment industry is at its peak, and the top performers from Nigeria and beyond come together to showcase their talents.
To help you navigate the scene, we’ve compiled a list of 10 must-attend events during Detty December in Nigeria. These events have been carefully selected based on their popularity, uniqueness, and cultural significance. Attending any of these events will provide you with a unique and unforgettable experience that captures the essence of the Nigerian culture.
Whether you’re a local or a visitor, these events will give you a glimpse into the richness and vibrancy of Nigerian culture. They provide an opportunity to meet new people, make memories, and immerse yourself in the beauty of the Nigerian festive season.
Here are 10 must-attend events during Detty December in Nigeria!
- The Experience: This is one of the biggest gospel music concerts in Nigeria, featuring performances by local and international gospel artists. It’s held annually in December in Lagos.
- Lagos Fashion Week: This event showcases the latest fashion trends from Nigerian designers and is held annually in Lagos during Detty December. It’s a great opportunity to see some of the best fashion talent in Nigeria and to get inspired for the new year.
- Felabration: This event celebrates the life and music of Fela Kuti, one of Nigeria’s most iconic musicians. It features live performances, dance, and other cultural events, and is held annually in Lagos during Detty December.
- Flytime Festival: This is a major music festival that features both local and international acts, and it’s known for its high-energy atmosphere and amazing performances. It takes place every year during Detty December in Lagos.
- Livespot Festival: This is another significant music festival that takes place during Detty December in Nigeria. It features some of the biggest local and international acts and is known for its fantastic performances and atmosphere.
- Palmwine Music Festival: This festival celebrates the unique and traditional sounds of palmwine music, a genre of music that originated in West Africa. The festival takes place in Lagos and features performances by both established and upcoming palmwine musicians. It’s a great opportunity to experience a unique aspect of Nigerian culture and music during Detty December.
- Calabar Carnival: Known as Africa’s biggest street party, the Calabar Carnival takes place in the city of Calabar, in southern Nigeria. The festival, which runs from December 1st to December 31st, features colorful parades, music, and dance.
- ISL Fest: This music festival features some of the biggest names in African music and is known for its impressive lineup of both established and up-and-coming artists. It’s held annually in Lagos during Detty December and is a must-see for any music lover.
- Lagos Countdown: This annual event is held at the Eko Atlantic City in Lagos and features fireworks, live music, and a carnival atmosphere. The countdown to the New Year is a highlight of the night, with crowds gathering to watch the spectacular display.
- Ojude Oba Festival: Held in the town of Ijebu-Ode, in southwestern Nigeria, the Ojude Oba Festival is a celebration of the town’s cultural heritage. It takes place on the third day of the Muslim festival of Eid-el-Kabir, which usually falls in December.
These are just a few of the many events happening during Detty December in Nigeria. Whether you’re a music lover, a fashion enthusiast, or just looking to experience Nigerian culture, there’s something for everyone during this festive season. So grab your friends and family and get ready to enjoy the best that Detty December has to offer!